For the past five years, host of Bacon Bits Podcast, Brian Basilico has learned a great deal about what it takes to have an award winning show. Chosen as one of the top 35 Outstanding Podcasts as chosen by Inc. Magazine, Brian pulls back the curtain to reveal what experts need to know when looking for interview opportunities.
Here is just a bit, a Bacon Bit, we covered in our 25 minutes together.
- Be willing to invest in your education about podcasting.
- If you’re a podcaster, interview people you really want to learn from. If you are a guest, what do you have that a host could learn about?
- Treat the interview as you would a conversation over a cup of coffee.
You are a featured expert to teach something both to the host and the audience.
- Being referred to high-traffic shows is a plus.
- A podcast is not a business in and of itself. It is a piece of the business model.
- Research the show AND the host before you approach them.
- Video messages to the host about getting on their show are unique and may get their attention.
- Follow hosts on social media and engage with them. Show you are really interested in their platform.
- You may need to have a pre-interview conversation.
- Use the 3/5 formula. (what’s this? Find out when you watch this interview)
- Be specific about what you will talk about. Vagueness doesn’t work.
- Have a unique perspective to what you do.
- Leave the audience wanting more.
- Material to prepare… short bio, headshot (high res), address to do snail mail, topic sheet on each topic you are doing.
- Build real relationships with hosts.
- Invest in people and they will invest in you.
- Podcasting can make you an influencer.
- Do every podcast show you can. You never know who’s listening.
- Listen to lots of shows.
BACON: Building Authentic Connections Online Networking
Brian Basilico is an award-winning, internationally recognized author and speaker (and a self-professed geek). He’s the founder and president of B2b Interactive Marketing Inc., an award-winning marketing consulting and production company in Aurora, Illinois. B2b was founded in 2001 and helps companies and non-profits market their products and services through the effective use of online tools including websites, blogs, email, social networking, Google, S.E.O., YouTube, and more.
Brian’s career spans almost 40 years. Since his first production company in 1979, he’s produced thousands of projects for hundreds of companies, ranging from solopreneur to Fortune 100. Brian combines years of marketing experience with technical expertise, to build online campaigns that continue to produce measurable results. As a musician, technician, programmer, producer, and consultant, he has built a reputation for creativity, innovation, and translating “geek speak” into English. Brian is also an adjunct professor, trainer, speaker, and author of many marketing and social networking blogs and articles.
Brian is also the host of the popular The Bacon Podcast. It’s a twice weekly show that includes tips and tricks, and guest expert interviews. The Bacon Podcast is one of the top 35 Outstanding Podcasts as chosen by Inc. Magazine.
He has also been featured as a guest expert in many print and online publications. He is a contributor to Inc. Magazine Online, Business2Community, Entrepreneur Magazine, and Local Newspapers including the Chicago Daily Herald.
One of the best ways to gain massive visibility fast is to be a featured expert on podcast shows. I specialize in working with experts who want massive visibility by way of podcast interviews. Whether you are promoting a book, are a speaker looking for visibility or any type of expert who wants to skyrocket your profile, podcast interviews are the way to go.
Podcast Directory Program https://www.powerupforprofits.com/directory
100 Club https://www.powerupforprofits.com/100Club
Podcast Interview Checklist and Training Video FREE