In a recent conversation with Cathleen Fillmore, founder of Speakers Gold, we talked about what meeting planners look for these days.
Many speakers miss great opportunities due to not being prepared. Cathleen interviewed top meeting planners to find out exactly what they look for when booking speakings. Below is a look at what they said.
How Meeting Planners Book Speakers
by Cathleen Fillmore, www.speakersgold.com/
I interviewed top meeting planners to find out how they book speakers these days. Their answers confirmed what we’ve been seeing from our Speakers Bureau perspective. Here is a summary of their answers:
- Excellent promotional material (such as a one page promo with your bio, photo, three speeches with bullet benefits, client list and testimonials.) Anything less than excellent doesn’t cut it in today’s market.
- A professional and functional website
- 2-3 minute video on your site and on YouTube
- A strong social media presence, especially on Linked In which one planner called the Gold Standard of online social media.
- Excellent referrals from bureaus and testimonials from clients
Those are the essentials – how would you rate yourself? In a competitive market, you have to be close to flawless in the basics.
Planners consistently said they rely on bureaus for recommendations. They, of course, can reach the speaker directly but a bureau’s recommendation makes it easier to sort through the flood of information out there.
There are more opportunities than ever for speakers who have something unique to offer that meets a market need. And fewer for those who don’t step up or keep doing same-old same-old. Which lane will you pick?
Cathleen Fillmore runs Speakers Gold bureau. She is a marketing consultant to speakers who want to make more money doing what they love. She is the author of five books, including the Six Figure Speaker.